free counters

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Psychiatric Ward visit



Had an assignment the other day in which I had to take a tour with the doctors to the psychiatric ward in a hospital. It was a fascinatingly sad experience. I don't know why but for some strange reason I don't consider them insane, just hiding somewhere in their minds and are too scared to come out. There was something strange, sad, interesting, scary, peculiar (all these words clashed in my mind) about how some dragged their foot slowly and shyly looked at us, how they stared with such intense and intellectual concentration a blank wall, and how one of them walked to us and said he has water in his brains.
How did they turn out that way? Surely most of them weren't born that way.

As the Senior doctor showed us how some of the rooms were made for the safety of the patient from him/her self, I felt that they looked something out of a 1950s asylum from a horror movie. He did mention that they need to change the way they deal with them by introducing many therapeutic and calming activities instead of just seating them in front of the TV for hours with very little activity.
Now I'm not saying that this is all cruel (I have no medical background and I'm sure these doctors and medical professionals know what they're doing in a way) but I'm sure that they need to develop their program and services in this enigmatic and sensitive field.

No comments:

Post a Comment